Centers for Disease Control Personal Protective Equipment Procedures
Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
SEQUENCE FOR PUTTING ON PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (PPE)
The type of PPE used will vary based on the level of precautions required, such as standard and contact, droplet or airborne infection isolation precautions.The procedure for putting on and removing PPE should be tailored to the specific type of PPE.
• Fully cover torso from neck to knees, arms to end of wrists, and wrap around the back
• Fasten in back of neck and waist
2. MASK OR RESPIRATOR
• Secure ties or elastic bands at middle of head and neck
• Fit flexible band to nose bridge • Fit snug to face and below chin • Fit-check respirator
3. GOGGLES OR FACE SHIELD
• Place over face and eyes and adjust to fit
• Extend to cover wrist of isolation gown
USE SAFE WORK PRACTICES TO PROTECT YOURSELF AND LIMIT THE SPREAD OF CONTAMINATION
• Keep hands away from face • Limit surfaces touched • Change gloves when torn or heavily contaminated • Perform hand hygiene
CS250672-ASEQUENCE FOR REMOVING PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (PPE)
Except for respirator, remove PPE at doorway or in anteroom. Remove respirator after leaving patient room and closing door.
• Outside of gloves is contaminated!
• Grasp outside of glove with opposite gloved hand; peel off
• Hold removed glove in gloved hand
• Slide fingers of ungloved hand under remaining glove at wrist
• Peel glove off over first glovet • Discard gloves in waste container
2. GOGGLES OR FACE SHIELD
• Outside of goggles or face shield is contaminated!
• To remove, handle by head band or ear pieces
• Place in designated receptacle for reprocessing or in waste container
• Gown front and sleeves are contaminated!
• Unfasten ties
• Pull away from neck and shoulders, touching inside of gown only
• Turn gown inside out • Fold or roll into a bundle and discard
4. MASK OR RESPIRATOR
• Front of mask/respirator is contaminated — DO NOT TOUCH!
• Grasp bottom, then top ties or elastics and remove
• Discard in waste container
PERFORM HAND HYGIENE BETWEEN STEPS IF HANDS BECOME CONTAMINATED AND IMMEDIATELY AFTER REMOVING ALL PPE